If you are interested in cats but don’t have any cats, you can do cat adoption by finding them in pet shops near you or online pet shops. But should you trust all the offers? Of course not. If you’re not careful, you will be a victim of fraud cases. Find a trusted place first for cat adoption.
Ok! after you find a reliable place that offers cats for adoption. There are more things you need to consider in cat adoption.
These are important things to know before adopting a cat:
- The right time for adopting a cat is when the cat is between 6-12 weeks old.
- Find out first and follow their regular diet for the first 1 week, so you can prevent stomach disorders such as diarrhea due to stress. Check the parent of the cat which you adopt and check the cat’s certificates.
- Do not forget to ask the cat breeders about what vaccination has been given and which is still needed.
- Select the type of cat or cat breed that fits you. Consider that long-haired cats need more care for their hair/fur than short-haired cats.
- For their growth, cats need optimal nutritional intake. This is the reason complete and balanced nutritional foods are really important. Then choose cat food, which is good for your new cats.
Remember that the consideration of cat adoption is not only stopped there. You also need to estimate your abilities in caring for cats in the future. Because it’s pretty costly to take care of a cat. Then think about where you will place the cat as well. Do not forget also that after you decide to adopt the cat, the cat’s health becomes 99.99% of your responsibility.
Another thing to consider when choosing a cat is to measure how the personality of the cat and whether it will be suitable for you.
The trick is to spend a little time with the cats.
Here are the things when observing the cat’s health and behavior (it may be different for some cat breeds) for cat adoption:
- The first cat’s behavior shows a match with you when the cat approaches you by itself, with no aggressive reaction.
- Observe when you see some cats gather with others or with their mother. Choose the one which is alert, gentle, and playing happily.
- When the catwalk or run, make sure it doesn’t look lame. This behavior would show whether the cat is physically healthy.
- Make sure that there is no fluid coming out of the eyes, nose, or ear holes.
- If the cat is not coughing or sneezing, it is a sign of a healthy cat. However, if it shakes its head, the cat may have had cat diseases.
- Especially pay attention to the cat’s eyes. The third eyelid or nictitating membrane should not cover most of the eyeballs. If you do not know what the nictitating membrane is, it is a whitish membrane next to the eyelids.
- We must clear the dental course of plaque, and its gums are healthy with a pink mark.
- The cat’s skin should look clean and healthy (without a scar, scab, or lice droppings). Its fur was shiny and clean and no ball fell out.
Do not forget to perform the following steps as the conclusion about cat adoption;
- Consider and decide which cat breeds you like to be with since they have different appearances and traits. Ask for a cat expert’s advice in choosing a cat breed following your lifestyle.
- Prepare funds for the cat to ensure the proper upbringing of the cat. The money will pay for cat supplies, insurance, medicine, etc.
- Prepare a proper place or cage, and proper equipment for your new cats so they can live healthily and comfortably.
- Make sure you adopt a cat in a trusted place (cattery or breeder). Do not go to a place that has no guarantee for the authenticity of the cat’s pedigree and health. By buying a certified cat (LO) then you will get a cat with a good pedigree. Make sure the cat is free from various diseases as well.
Well, after having a cat adoption, don’t forget the focal point of caring for cats is patience.